All sunglasses should be purchased from a reputable source and should have both UV-A and UV-B protection. Additionally, sunglasses should screen out 75-90% of visible light.
What is UV protection?
UV protection is an addition to lenses that blocks ultraviolet from reaching the skin. UV exposure can result in cataracts, Macular Degeneration, eye cancers, and even Photokeratitis.
What are polarized lenses?
Polarized lenses are different than regular tinted sunglasses. Tinted sunglasses are just darkened to decrease light. In contrast, polarized lenses increase clarity, increase contrast, and make colors pop. These lenses are loved by fisherman, golfers and skiers.
What should I consider when buying sunglasses for UV protection?
Size. Larger sunglasses are better because they cover more area. One should not only have their eyes protected, but the skin around their eyes. The skin under the eye is susceptible to basal and squamous carcinoma, as well as Melanoma.
Shape. Sunglasses with some wrap that sit close to the face will decrease the amount of light that enters the eyes from the sides of the frame.
Lens Color. Depending upon the outdoor activity or sport, one may have a preference for lens color. Other times, the color of the frame will be matched.
Quality. Not all polarized lenses are created equal, nor are frames. When looking for a quality, sunglass, one should inquire about the materials the frames are made from.
5 Current Sunglass Favorites
1. INVU is a swiss eyewear company owned by Europa. They produced high quality frames and polarized lenses at a very, budget-friendly price. They are available in both men and women sizes, different shapes, sizes, and colors.
2. SALT is an American eyewear line made in Japan. Japanese eyewear is know for luxury and quality. SALT sunglasses have Zeiss polarized lenses. The styles are very classic.
3. SHO is an American company made in Japan with many unique styles and colors. They have something for everyone!
4. Mykita is a European style frame line designed and produced in Berlin. Their styles are light-weight, screwless, and have a one-of-a-kind hinge design.
5. State Optical is the first luxury line produced in the United States, Made in Chicago, the line combines the best in materials with unique colors and shapes.
For more information on our sunglass styles, visit our boutique optical.